Rail Operations Manager
Company: Ports America Group
Posted on: November 20, 2023
At Ports America The Rail Manager has direct overall
responsibility for the successful performance of the rail vehicle
transportation and logistics services including inventory
distribution and management, rail loading/unloading services,
securing the containers in the rail car, maintaining records of
containers processed and the overall managing of the personnel
operating within the rails. The Rail Manager will ensure a smooth
and efficient rail operation interacting regularly with rail
operators, customers, terminal operations, and union personnel. The
Rail Manager coordinates the movement of rail containers based on
vessel arrivals, container availability and train schedules.
- Supervises union personnel carrying out day-to-day activities,
loading train with containers, in accordance with intermodal plan.
Resolves daily problems that arise with labor or the
- Places labor orders with department head approval.
- Manage, assign duties, and schedule appropriate number of crew
members to meet loading and unloading deadlines.
- Follows safety guidelines and enforces safety rules and
procedures among labor personnel.
- Supervises the inspection of the train, when it is arriving or
departing from the rail yard.
- Prepares a spreadsheet with containers moving that day; a daily
inventory of empty railcars; prepares reefer lists.
- Uses Outlook, Excel, NAVIS in order to trace boxes, release
- Prepares daily production report; provides information to
steamship lines for status on containers.
- Communicates with local railroad (KCS/CN/CSX) personnel on
train movements daily regarding s+cheduling times, box
availability, inbound and outbound traffic, and so forth.
- Allocates labor resources as tasks and activities shift during
the day, maximizing the use of labor throughout the shift. Prepares
daily labor report for payroll purposes.
- Monitors train input, weights and locations.
- Coordinates discharge and loading requirements with other
terminals and steamship lines.
- Resolves customer issues with respect to the movement of
containers, released containers, holds on containers due to customs
or government inspections, imports and exports.
- Provides assistance in reports developed for Finance and other
- Performs other related duties as requested. Minimum
- 4-year college degree operations management, logistics
management, or related discipline preferred.
- 3+ years' experience of terminal operations experience within
the logistics/transportation industry, with at least one year in
rail/yard operations desired
- Knowledge of intermodal transportation concepts, operations,
networks, and equipment capabilities (including lift equipment and
other mechanical aspects unique to intermodal shipping)
- Knowledge of supervisory and leadership principles, with the
ability to influence other team members.
- Knowledge of safety, health and environmental issues as they
affect the workplace. Physical Working Attributes:
- Climb up and down a ladder on a vessel and/or rail car multiple
times within a shift.
- Work in changing hot and cold climates based on weather
- Work in an environment that may be hazardous to people unable
to see and hear fast moving equipment.
- Lift, push and/or pull up to 30 pounds.
- Use of a computer/keyboard NOTE: This job description is not
intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related
duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Ports America is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging
diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race; color;
religion; national origin; sex (including pregnancy); sexual
orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability;
genetic information, citizenship status; military service
obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal,
state, or local law. This role does not offer sponsorship for work
authorization. External applicants must be eligible to work in the
US. If you require additional information about our comprehensive
you to contact us via email at . Our dedicated team at Ports
America will be pleased to address any specific inquiries or
concerns you may have regarding the handling, protection, and
security of your data. We are committed to ensuring the utmost
privacy and confidentiality of your personal information and will
gladly provide you with the necessary details to help you better
understand our practices and protocols.
Keywords: Ports America Group, Gulf Port , Rail Operations Manager, Executive , Gulfport, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!